Saturday, June 14th and Sunday, June 15th

...Nothing like a fire to bring people out of their shells. Saturday night, over forty people tucked in around a blazing campfire at Clackamas Lake. The shadows of tents circle around at the edge of the firelight. We were less than a mile from where the pipeline crosses the Pacific Crest Trail and the busy recreation scene of Timothy Lake, but we would navigate that the following day. As the moon rose from behind the treeline, draping shades of blue over everything. The Sunday hike is distant in my mind as we unsuccessfully try to cook popcorn over the fire. In the morning, as we walk we will find a stake with "begin 300 ft. EWS" markered down the length of it. Extra-Wide Swath? 300 feet? But I do not worry about the pipeline, as a telescope has been brought out and I can see the sparkle of sunlight hitting the moon's white surfaces. And as I drop into the fold of my sleeping bag, the comfort of knowing all these people would take their weekend to come join us in the forest is cushion to my troubled mind. The next day, we will once again separate from this moment of support and continue walking...

No comments: