Thursday, June 12th


...We are walking downhill today and with the change in the weather, everything in my walking is stronger. Shedding layers of clothing, the branches we continue to push through begin to leave small lacerations on my arms and at my ankles and calves where my pants push up and long johns are not protecting my skin any longer. But, I barely notice it. I'm entranced. As we begin to walk down off Oak Grove Butte, I am realizing we have hit the moment I'd thought about for months now. The hemlocks were interspersed with white pines. The vine maples were matched by the rhododendrons. The soil was drier and made up of less decomposing debris, but more rock. The kinnikinnick was replacing a mossy forest floor. And maybe it was the turn in the weather, but I could feel the transition to eastside...

No comments: